Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Secret Spot

I haven't made my way in to this little restaurant until this week. Mostly because the name made me think of over 18 shops and I didn't think the kids would be welcomed in. The place is little more than a couple picnic tables and a counter. We had the 99 cent taco special, chips and salsa, and vegetable soup. If you are vegan, vegetarian, or like to eat homemade food and don't want to cook, this is the best kept secret in Huntington Beach. The people working there are icons of the surf culture, I expected them to be barefoot. It's just very casual and relaxed.

All of the food is home made and really good. The only downside is the chips are straight from a bag and taste healthy, but if you want a deep fryer, you'll have to head across the street to Jack in the Box. The soup was filled with so many vegetables, I couldn't really identify any specifically but think I tasted squash. The tacos were corn tortillas topped with chicken and big slices of avocado and fresh romaine. Be patient - everything is made when you order it, so don't expect to order and have your food ready. Sit down, slow down, enjoy the music and the breeze. I'm excited to go back for their pancakes! I noticed most of the customers who came in after us were known by name from the counter girl. Very cool!

3801 Warner Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
(562) 592-4494

Open Hours Monday-Saturday 9 a.m.-9 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.

No comments: