Thursday, March 20, 2008

Brew Bakers

I should mention, I have worked for 5 star companies, owned two restaurants and have an intense background in F&B and the hospitality business. I spent years scouting reservations to figure out the likely AAA reviewers and all of this upper crust stuff has formed a very prissy and entitled attitude about food and service.

I first heard about Brew Baker's in a filer about children's parties. Kids make their own pretzels and bottle root beer. They also advertise that you can bottle your own beer here and that they sell bread, food and beer. So I was envisioning a sterile environment that was child friendly. When the kids asked for a pizza for dinner we decided to check it out.

First, it's the kind of place that looks like it feels sticky. The first thing I noticed was the bar, the second was the amount of breasts on the labels on the wall. Two picnic tables are set up for eating. The tables are covered with the writings of patrons, and these beer labels are everywhere. Right off the bat the girl reads something about how "Everyone needs something to believe, I believe I'll have another beer." I cringed knowing that this will be stored in her mind and probably recited on her school playground the next day.

The service is very, but also genuine, friendly and attractive. The large pizza ($17plus a charge for the topping) was the size of a frozen pizza and the pretzel crust was quite good. It's served on a wooden board and napkins are on the tables. I suppose plates would have just been in the way. The cheese and pepperoni were greasy but not heavy. The only thing that could have improved the pizza was a less sweet sauce.

I'm not sure if the root beer was brewed there or regular root beer off the tap, but it was served without ice and we were given a choice - glass or plastic.

This restaurant is for kids who usually accompany mom and dad to sports bars. As I don't watch sports, my kids were very unfamiliar with the bar scene. This place is perfect for dare I say "less stuck up people". I know my brother would LOVE this place because he is the sort to know everyone and would make fast friends with the locals and staff. I think I would have been more comfortable if I were drinking and with friends than with the kids.

I cannot imagine choosing this location for a child's party (or church group-also advertises for this clientele). Especially with breasts, asses and profanity on most of the walls.

So go with your 21 and over crowd - try out the beer and meet some really nice down to earth people. The pizza is decent and try the soft baked pretzels. Just leave your stuffy friends (and kids if they can read) at home.

Brew Bakers
(714) 596-5506 www.brewbakers1.com
7242 Heil Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92647

No comments: